Friday, March 28, 2014

If You Don’t Have Anything Nice to Say...

I haven’t written a blog entry for awhile. For one, I’ve been pretty busy. And two, not much that is blog worthy has happened or come to mind...even for a blog called “A Whole Lot of Nothing.”


However, there’s something that has bugged me for awhile and what better way to address that issue than through my blog. I mean, I must have an audience of about two who will read this and see my viewpoint. And I’ll feel better getting it off my chest.


Social media has become part of our lives. We are always connected to people or news with our computers, tablets, or phones. While this has its benefits, I have also seen how it can bring the worst out in people.


If you read my Facebook posts or have seen my other blog entries, you know I like to write with some humor (at least I try). I’m all for a good joke or sarcasm. I don’t even mind making fun of myself. Yet what I find as I read through news stories, Facebook posts, or well-intended human interest stories, is that we’re living in a cruel, judgmental world. People take this forum to “speak” and go for it. Thoughtless, hurtful comments and all.


While I recognize people have the freedom to give their thoughts, I’m not trying to mess with the first amendment, I do feel people might want to think before they hit post. Why do people feel that it is acceptable to be so unkind? Does the “anonymity” of writing the words rather than saying them directly to the person make it seem more okay? Do people think the written word hurts less than the spoken word? Do they even care?


I’m always amazed at how people can take a story and turn it into something ugly. If a news station posts a story about a deadly car accident, before the details are even released, people are blaming the driver for drinking or texting and commenting that they got what they deserved. Then other people will comment that they should wait for details before judging the situation. Then they go back and forth with hateful words at each other. Meanwhile, a family has lost a loved one, but that takes a backseat to people being thoughtless.


Other times a media outlet might share a light-hearted story that is meant to be for entertainment purposes. Yet people find it necessary to make rude comments or criticize the author. Sometimes simple stories become political issues with lots of nasty remarks. People are also very quick to remark on someone’s looks or what they’re wearing. People can be downright mean.


While I’m not naive enough to think that these behaviors are going to change, I do wish people would stop and think before they write something. There just seems to be an abundance of insensitive people out there.  If the article is not of interest, just scroll on by. Resist the urge to pass judgment on someone or something when details are not known. If it’s going to he hurtful, don’t write it. Can’t we all just get along?

Simply put, if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment