Wednesday, June 5, 2013

What's In a Name?



Once I decided that I was going to write a blog, coming up with the name was the next step. And what a process that was. I think it was easier deciding on names for my kids. I just didn’t know where to begin. I tried coming up with something cutesy or creative. I browsed the web for names of other blogs to get inspiration. I thought and thought, but nothing grabbed me. I periodically jotted ideas down and I would even wake up in the middle of the night thinking about it. After much agonizing, I eventually had a list of 15 options. I tried to get my husband to give me his opinion, but he wasn’t really too interested. It’s like when I’m going for a hair appointment and for the few days leading up to it, I’ll ask him, “What should I do to my hair? Should I get it cut short?” He usually doesn’t answer or says he doesn’t care what I do to my hair. I’m not sure if he truly doesn’t care or if he chooses not to say anything because if I do what he suggests and I hate it, I’d likely blame him.


Finally though, after days of nagging (not that I ever do that), he did tell me his top three from my list. Of course, he could have closed his eyes and pointed randomly at three just to get me off his back, but it did work. Well played, Jason, well played.

One of the challenges of coming up with the name is that the blog isn’t specific--it’s not a parenting blog, a running blog, or a baking blog. It’s a random blog about whatever comes to mind or about things going on in my life. Therefore, something like “Busy Running Mama” (not really an option on my list) wasn’t going to work because it is too topic specific. In the end, “A Whole Lot of Nothing” came out on top because essentially, that’s what I’ll be writing about. A whole lot of nothing.

This leads me to ask, if there was a blog about your life, what would it be called?

No comments:

Post a Comment